View from illuminated clubhouse on pond with building reflection in water at dusk

Legends-on-the-Niagara Golf Clubhouse

The Legends-on-the-Niagara Golf Clubhouse is a five star golf facility for Niagara Parks Commission, representing the cornerstone for golf in Niagara and beyond.

The clubhouse is situated on a man-made lake on the historic site of the War of 1812 – Battle of Chippawa, which occurred on July 5th, 1814. This facility was built to enhance tourism to the Niagara Golf Trail.

Legends-on-the-Niagara features two 18 hole courses – “The Battlefield” by Doug Carrick and “Usher’s Creek” by Thomas McBroom. Usher’s Creek was the site of a pivotal battle on July 15th, 1814 where American forces won their first battle against the British in the war of 1812.

Because it is part of the holdings of the Niagara Parks Commission, the designers wanted a park-like pavilion. +VG drew on the historic and local themes of historic forts, local buildings and parks pavilions, as well as the escarpment itself to develop the architectural concept. The facility offers lockers, casual Bar/Bistro and fully equipped pro shop, and also includes banquet facilities for up to 300 in tournaments, and underground cart storage.

LOCATION

Niagara Falls, Ontario

CLIENT

Legends-on-the-Niagara Golf Club

COMPLETED

2002

SIZE

35,000 ft²

SERVICES

New Construction


View of glazed front entrance and fitness area from paved courtyard

Vellore Village Community Centre Fitness Expansion

The City of Vaughan retained +VG Architects in the Spring of 2010 to design the new 10,000 ft² fitness club attached to the multi-use recreation centre and high school in the Village of Vellore.

The facility is to serve as a separate fee fitness club complete with its own change rooms, saunas, and controlled access.

While the change rooms are for the fitness centre, they also have direct access to the pool. The fitness centre is housed primarily in a two-storey glazed area housing the conditioning and weight room. Other facilities include a cycle fit room and testing area. Materials and massing are designed to blend with the existing building, which was completed in 2006.

LOCATION

Vaughan, Ontario

CLIENT

City of Vaughan

COMPLETED

2013

SIZE

10,000 ft²

SERVICES

Expansion

PHOTOGRAPHY

David Whittaker


Victoria Park Stadium Fieldhouse

Victoria Park Stadium is a highly regarded soccer specific stadium in the north-eastern part of the City.

The stadium has been in operation since the 1970’s and required significant upgrades to the fence enclosure, bleacher seating areas and scoreboard, as well as the provision of a Fieldhouse, housing a ticket kiosk, public washroom facilities, and change rooms for the players.

+VG was retained by the City of Brampton to design and administer construction of the various improvements. The project mandate from the client stressed ‘enclosure’ and ‘public gateway’ as key objectives in that events scheduled at the Stadium are often high profile and ticketed.

A material palette was developed for the project that was robust – precast concrete, galvanized steel, and brick. These materials were utilized in combination to create rhythm and interest while unifying the Stadium with the adjacent arena building to create a cohesive recreation complex.

Phase One involved the removal and replacement of the existing fence enclosure, bleacher stands, and scoreboard. The design of the new fence involves a combination of pigmented precast concrete panels and custom-designed galvanized steel channel fence panels that are both robust and opaque. An accent wall in brick was located at the vehicle gate into the Stadium.

Phase Two completes the stadium enclosure with the construction of a new Fieldhouse building along the eastern edge of the field, creating a new public entrance into the stadium. The public enter past the ticket kiosk through a “breezeway” that can be secured with sliding gates when the stadium is not in use. The Fieldhouse also provides public and universal washrooms; two team change rooms, a referees change room, and an alternate change room; and some minor service spaces.

LOCATION

Brampton, Ontario

CLIENT

City of Brampton

COMPLETED

2014

SIZE

3,750 ft²

SERVICES

New Fieldhouse & Stadium Improvements

PHOTOGRAPHY

Mario Madau


Gymnasium with wood floor with the Y logo, basketball nets and mirrored wall with yoga balls

Midland YMCA

The YMCA Midland Revitalization Project entailed design and contract administration services for the construction of an extensive set of renovation activities within the existing facility.

+VG Architects were initially retained to provide a facility Condition Assessment and Master Plan for the phased implementation of program and deferred maintenance upgrades.

Extensive investigations into building envelope failures were conducted, including destructive testing. Partial re-roofing and wall envelope repairs were performed to remediate the integrity of the vapour barrier, which had been compromised causing the high-humidity air to damage the exterior bonded masonry wall. Key program upgrades included:

  • Renovate all Locker Facilities
  • Add a new Family Change Room
  • New Windows into the Pool & Gymnasium
  • New Entrance & Stair at North Side
  • Relocate and enlarge Conditioning Area
  • Renovate Reception and Public Spaces
  • New multi-purpose fitness studios
  • Life Safety and HVAC upgrades

The project accomplished twin agendas of extending the usable lifespan of the building for another 25 years, and refreshing the space through a design, which focused on creating light, open, healthy, and inviting spaces.

LOCATION

Midland, Ontario

CLIENT

YMCA

COMPLETED

2009

SIZE

22,000 ft²

SERVICES

Renovation