In 2007, St. Michael CES had a student enrolment of approximately 400 FTE students.

The original building, built in 1908 and 1913, had been added to again in the 1950’s and 1970’s to accommodate, at its pinnacle, a total student enrolment of 650. +VG Architects led a school Planning Accommodation Review Committee process with the Board and School Community to help clarify academic needs and facilitate the transition to a new facility right-sized for their current and projected enrolments. Key in this process was sincere listening to the concerns of the school community while reinforcing the opportunities available to augment academic and community program spaces not achievable within the existing facility.

The process resulted in the unanimous approval of the final design approach that would see the implementation of full day kindergarten, enhanced facilities for physical education and computer literacy, classroom technology improvements, and improved non-core program elements such as larger rejuvenated play yards and space for “Before and After” childcare facilities.

The re-construction of St. Michael’s School occurred within an occupied facility on a tight urban site.

CLIENT

Algonquin & Lakeshore Catholic District School Board (ALCDSB)

COMPLETED

2012

SIZE

39,000 ft²

CAPACITY

400 FTS

SERVICES

Reconstruction